Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My first week of summer

Well, my first week of my summer vacation didn't go exactly as planned. Instead of enjoying the sun, going to Winstock, and sleeping in, I spent my time in the hospital!

The day after Eric's surprise party I started to feel sick. In the early afternoon my stomach began to cramp up and have pains. I lost my appetite and was very tired. I never get hangovers, but thought that maybe that day I did for some reason. So I chalked it up to my first hangover in some time.

However, by late Sunday night I was in quite a lot of pain and could not find a position to get comfortable. I came to the conclusion it was not a hangover and must be the flu. I have not had the flu since 4th grade so did not quite remember what the symptoms were or how you should feel. I assumed what I was feeling was "normal."

Monday was the first day of summer school which I was suppose to be teaching. By late Sunday night, I knew there was no chance of me going. I could barely walk or get out of bed. From Sunday afternoon until Monday night I laid in bed moaning and groaning and in a great deal of pain. I couldn't believe how horrible the flu was!

Tuesday morning I woke up feeling a bit better and had my appetite back. So now I was sure it was the flu. I went to summer school to teach but was still pretty slow, sore, and weak. Tuesday night I decided to make an appt. "just in case."

On Wednesday when I still was not feeling up to par I went in. They did a urine and blood test before the Dr. even saw me. Upon seeing my white cell count, she knew right away something was wrong. My count was a 17.8 when normal is between a 4-11. Basically it meant my body was fighting a nasty infection. I was sent immediately to the Buffalo hospital for a CT scan. The CT scan told me just what I was afraid to hear...you have appendicitis. From there I was admitted to the hospital and had surgery that evening. Wednesday was a LONG day!

Surgery went well. During surgery they found that my appendix had ruptured. Because it had ruptured, it made my condition a little more serious. Thankfully it was caught early enough to be taken care of.

Since surgery last Wednesday, my recovery has been slow but sure. Wednesday through Friday I was in the hospital and was still in quite a lot of pain. I was able to go home on Friday. My mom came up and helped me out tremendously. I don't think I could have made it without her here that day. Saturday I started to feel a bit better. I even got out of the house for a few hours and went to Winstock...Tear:( It was good to hang out with the crew! There is always next year for Winstock, I guess.

I am slowly beginning to feel better. I think I am able to walk without a hunch now and am walking at a normal pace. I still get pains every now and again, but feeling better than what it was last week. The dr's have told me it will take a couple weeks to fully recover. I am hoping another few days and I will be back up to speed!

This has been quite the experience. I have never spent time in the hospital (other than my tonsils many years ago) and I have never been this sick before. I was so amazed with the overwhelming support and love from my family and friends. I have so many wonderful people in my life. Thank you to all of you for being so caring and helpful! Without all of you this would have been a much harder ordeal. A special thank you to my wonderful husband for taking care of me and being super sweet. And another special thank you to my mom for helping me as I healed! I love all of you! Thanks again!

Carissa

4 comments:

Marco Family said...

Just glad you are ok, and feeling better!! Love you!

Heidi Myhre said...

Poor little Claire!! xoxo

The Remme's said...

Glad you are feeling better deary !!

Kristing said...

What an experience huh? Glad you are feeling better! Not quite how you imagined your summer to start off!