Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A little detour in life!

You just never know what detours life is going to throw at you.
This fall has been a year for detours.
A year for bumps in the road.
...
As I stood making supper on Friday night, October 14th
my knee and leg began to ache.
I thought to myself...what the heck did I do to my leg?!
It was like a nagging charlie horse.
As the night went on, it seemed to get worse.
Later that night I kidded to Eric that I was falling apart.
Well...little did I know that I sort of was.
Saturday morning I woke up and attempted to get out of bed. 
When I put my foot down to get out of bed I fell to the ground.
So...what?! A torn ligament? Meniscus?
I hobbled around all day on Saturday and Sunday.
Sunday evening I began to go down quickly.
I started feeling quite icky and by early evening 
I had developed a 104 fever.
We decided I needed to head to the ER.
We went to the ER in Hutch where I was diagnosed with
a ruptured Baker's cyst.  
I was given pain meds and told that it would go 
away on its own naturally.
I went home feeling as though I skated away easy
and would be back up to par within a couple of days.
Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worse 
over the next couple days.
That night in the ER my white cell count was 30,000.
The Dr. didn't seemed concerned Sunday in the ER.
However, the next day as I followed up with the oncologist,
my WCC had gone up to 42,000 and there was great concern.
I went through many tests but was not able to find anything.
With the help of my SIL Erin, 
we made a plan to get to a big hospital 1st thing Tuesday morning.
I checked myself into the ER in St. Cloud on Tuesday.
The care was nothing short of amazing!  
I had instant care from the second I walked in.
The 1st thing that was done was bloodwork.
At this point my WCC was at 60,000.
Terribly high.
Something was terribly wrong.
A few things were being thrown around.
Infection.
Cellulitis.
Leukemia. (So scary)
Next test...MRI.
Within 20 minutes of my MRI
my oncologist was in my room telling me 
that they had found the answer.
I had multiple abscesses in my leg and had developed cellulitis.
Surgery was needed immediately.
A whirlwind.
I was thankful that it was an infection.
Still scary.  And surgery.  
Scary too!
Within 2 hours I was taken into surgery where 
they opened up my entire leg to clean out the infection
that had invaded my leg.  
Post surgery was tough.
Lots of pain and discomfort.
The doctors left a port in my leg after my surgery
to clean out the remaining infection 
and drainage in my leg.
2 days later I went back in for surgery #2.
They removed my port and stitched up my leg.
Pleasant, right?!

 I am very thankful to have my leg!
After surgery, they cultured my leg 
where they found out it was a strep infection
that had taken over my leg.
I was fighting a very serious battle.
They took intimidate action and cared for me
with all they had!
And as my SIL said, 
"I have one hell of an immune system!"

I spent 5 days in the hospital.
It was a long 5 days.
But I am so very thankful for the amazing care
that I received in  St. Cloud.
I can't say enough about the outstanding care
that I got there.
From my orthopedic doctor to my infectious disease doctor, 
to the nurses, and all other help!
Absolutely amazing!!!
I left with crutches, a pic line, and a stitched up leg.

The regular lifestyle was no longer normal.
I couldn't do anything on my own.
I couldn't walk.
Couldn't shower on my own.
Couldn't do the laundry.
Couldn't make supper.
Couldn't drive.
You get the picture.
I laid in bed...most of the day.

How do I take care of my kids?
Who is going to teach for me?
Who is going to do my laundry, make my meals,
clean the house, take the kids to school?

Well, that is where my family and friends stepped in.
In a big way!  
They did everything and more.
Cooked meals.
Drove my kids to school and daycare.
Cleaned my house.
Did the laundry.
Sent yummy treats.
Took care of me.
Visited.
Kept me company.
And the list goes on.
Words can't even express how very thankful I am 
for all of my friends and family.
The outpouring of love and support has been 
beyond amazing.  
I am humbled.
I am grateful.
I think about how lucky I am EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!!!
We couldn't have made it through with out 
all of the help from everyone!!

I spent 4 weeks at home recovering.
I have started physical therapy to help me
to begin to walk again.
Progress is slow but I am making growth.
My hope is to be walking by Christmas.

I went back to work this last week.
I have a scooter that gets me around!  
Beep beep!
Wow...that felt amazing! 
It was so good to get back into my classroom
and be with my kids.
It felt good to have some normalcy again.  
I am taking things slowly as I don't want 
to have any major setbacks.
I feel great!  
Now...if only my leg would start working again.  
Patience!  
Soon enough I will be walking again.

So as I said before...
you never know what life is going to throw at you.
Life can change in a blink of an eye.
I have learned that not only through my experience
but through other things that have happened this year.
So as we came into Thanksgiving this year
I felt like I had a whole lot to be thankful for!
I am thankful for...
my family.
my friends.
the amazing medical staff at St. Cloud Hospital.
Cokato Elementary.
The Cokato community.
Tina, Mel, and Jesse for taking care of my kids.
Tina for bringing Cohen to school each day.
Julie for bring Brynlee to daycare .
Carol and my mom taking care of me, 
cleaning my house, and taking care of my kids.
Erin for telling me to get my butt to the hospital
and then coming with me, comforting me, 
and making me laugh when I was scared out of my mind.
Steph and Cecilie for driving me to my appointments. 
Everyone that made amazing meals
and came to visit me!
To Rachel, Darcy, and Gina for pampering me
by giving me a manicure and pedicure.
Thank you to my hubby who has been there
for me throughout this entire ordeal!!
And the list goes on and on...
You know who you are!
You rock!
Thank you!
I love you!!!
I couldn't have gotten through this crummy ordeal without you!!!

I leave you with a couple pictures of my leg...


Day 5 post surgery...
 Day 20 post surgery...
Stitches are out!

 Thank you!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart
for all of your thought and prayers!
It means the world to me!!!
I am so blessed to have you all in my life!

No comments: